Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Appreciate what you have....

If we could turn the population of the earth into a small community of 100 people, keeping the same propotion we have today, it would be something like this........

61 Asians.......
12 Europeans........
8 North Americans
5 South Americans and the Carebbean
13 Africans
1 Oceania

50 women
50 men

47 lives in an urban area
9 are disabled

33 are Christians (Catholics, Protestants, Orthodox, Anglicans, and other Christians)
18 are Muslims
14 are Hindus
16 are non-religious
6 are Buddhist
13 practice other religions

43 live without basic sanitation
18 live without an improved water source

6 PEOPLE own 59% of the entire wealth of the community

13 are hungry or malnourished
14 can't read
only 7 are educated at a secondary level
only 12 have a computer
only 3 have an internet connection

1 adult aged 15 - 49 has HIV / Aids

The village spend more than US$ 1.12 trillion on military expenditures
and only US$ 100 billion on delevopment aid

If you keep your food in a refrigerator
your clothes in a closet
if you have a bed to sleep in
and a roof over your head
you are richer than 75% of the entire world population

If you have a bank account, you are one of the 30 wealthiest people in the world
18 struggle to live on US$ 1.00 dollar per day or less......
53 struggle to live on US$ 2.00 dollar per day or less.

Appreciate what you have
And do your best for a better world.

The above message originated from The Miniature Earth movie which was published on May 29, 1990 with the tittle “State of the Village Report”, and it was written by Donella Meadows, who passed away in February 2000. This message reminds me to be grateful and contented with what I have. There are so many people in this world who have very much less than what I have. I should not be complaining that my bed is too hard, or my food is not nice, or my clothes are too old to wear, or my shoes are not nice, or the money I have are insufficient, or my house are too small. Instead, I should be thankful for God has blessed me with all this luxury compare to 75% of the people in this world.

To watch The Miniature Earth movie, visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvTFKpIaQhM or for more infomation about this message, please visit http://www.miniature-earth.com/index.html

No comments: