Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Dear God, Please Make Me Rich

I was watching The Oprah Winfrey Show on the Hallmark Channel last Saturday. Well, the synopsis advertisement the day earlier cought my attention about the featured star Matthew McConaughey, Eva Longoria and Bon Jovi. Hence, I did not miss out the opportunity to watch the talk show.

Last Saturday topic was about how these three celebrities go the extra mile to help the Hurricane Katrina victims rebuild their lives which their homes has been wrecked by the disaster late 2005. This happened in New Orleans, Louisiana.


Matthew McConaughey gave up his lovely 1971 Chevy Stingray Corvette by putting it up for auction on eBay to raise money for Oprah's Angel Network. The money he raised was being put to used by building a playground for the evacuees whom they were relocated. Eva Longoria helped out by volenteering for yard duty. In the show, I saw her helped a lady plant her garden in a freshly new lawn in the lady's new home. Bon Jovi with his band donated US$ 1 million to Oprah's Angel Network for building a new neighbourhood for the victims. The new neighbourhood was called Bon Jovi Boulevard. To make the new home recepient (which were the Hurricane Katrina's victims) feel even happier, he personally deliver their new house keys to them. Those houses were fully furnished and customised according to the receipient's number of family members. For a family of two with a mother and a son, their new home will have a master beedroom, and a bedroom designed for a male child - with study desk, school supplies and all. They might have done it out of the reason for publicity or such, but anyhow what they did is already very much better than the many rich rich people out there. But I think their effort is mostly sincere and true because they don't need this kind of publicity as they are already very famous. Ever seen Paris Hilton or Britney Spears do such charity? Nope, I don't think so...

If you missed out watching this on The Oprah Winfrey Show, you can check out this link http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200609/tows_past_20060920.jhtml

Following their footsteps, I really wish I am rich. Not just rich, but extremely rich to make the big difference in helping those in need. Just like what Oprah is doing. Ok, I know this dream is a bit extreme and it won't going to happen. I want to be able to help out financially and contribute in making the fund well spend by putting in the sweat and tears of building/ rebuilding what is needed. I want not just going to be able to help out physically but also financially. What a big dream I have here... haha... Don't worry, I am not crazy. I know it is impossible for me. Dear God, please make me rich so that I can donate more to the needy. I want to feel this sense of satisfaction which I have never felt before in my life. Well, maybe I can start with something small like donating a small sum monthy to support the WWF ?

No comments: